After a 7 year hiatus Pama International are back with a brand new line-up and album. Their album ‘Love & Austerity’ (out in Jan’17 on Cherry Red Records/Happy People) comprises of 8 singles. Taking in thunderous dubs, soul ballads, a Jackie Mittoo/Studio One inspired organ instrumental, rocksteady and reggae, the album stars the beautiful lead vocal harmonies of Jewels Vass and Anna Uhuru.
The first single, a reworking of Martha Reeves & The Vandella’s soul classic Heatwave is out on the 14th October’16, followed by the seven other singles, on Cherry Red Records (digitally) and Happy People (on vinyl via a soon to be launch Pledge campaign) all produced by Pama Intl songwriter/founder Sean Flowerdew and guitarist Lenny Bignell.
In their first 10 years Pama Int’l recorded 9 albums, 3 BBCRadio 1 Maida Vale sessions, won the Rebel playlist on BBC6, and became the first new act to sign to Trojan Records in 30 years. Their collective nature saw them work with members of The Specials, Madness, Steel Pulse, Style Council, Galliano, Kasabian, Billy Bragg, Mad Professor, Michie One, Wrongtom and Jamaican legends; Derrick Morgan, Dave & Ansel Collins, Dawn Penn, Dennis Alcapone and Rico Rodriguez. Constant touring saw them gig with Madness, The Specials, Toots & The Maytals, Jimmy Cliff, Prince Buster, Mick Jones (The Clash), Third World, Lee Perry, Max Romeo, Janet Kay and Caroll Thompson to name a few.
Not content to keep his sound to the music world alone Pama Intl’s writer Sean Flowerdew work has been featured on nine British and Hollywood film soundtracks and television. The most successful being ‘Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels’ and US blockbuster ‘Fool’s Gold’.
Pama International returned to the live scene earlier this year with a sold-out year long residency as Trojan Records house band at their official club night. Upcoming shows include gigs with Zion Train, King Prawn, Dennis Bovell, Don Letts, Misty In Roots, and 2017’s UK tour with The Dead 60s.
Pama International live
- 23.09.16 London Trojan Thames cruise – sold-out
- 24.09.16 London Garage w/ Zion Train, General Roots & Solution Sound System
- 07.10.16 Swindon The Vic w/ Destination Anywhere & Shocks of Mighty DJs
- 08.10.16 London Trojan – Trojan Records official club night – Heatwave launch party
- 26.11.16 London, Garage – w/ Misty In Roots and Dennis Bovell
- 09.12.16 London, Garage – w/ King Prawn & Don Letts
- 06.04.17 Glasgow O2 Academy 2 supporting The Dead 60s
- 07.04.17 Sheffield O2 Academy 2 supporting The Dead 60s
- 08.04.17 Birmingham Institute 2 supporting The Dead 60s
- 09.04.17 Brighton Concorde 2 supporting The Dead 60s
- 13.04.17 London Electric Ballroom supporting The Dead 60s (part of The London Intl Ska Festival)
- 14.04.17 Liverpool O2 Academy supporting The Dead 60s